It’s true. We have a lot of different lights. The choices may seem a little overwhelming at first, but a few simple questions will help you narrow down the options.
- Will you use the light for an activity that matches one of our three divisions? (Outdoor, Dive or Industrial)
- Do you need hands-free (headlamp), hands-on (flashlight), area (lantern) or “be seen” (marker/strobe) lighting? Or do you need a helmet-mounted light (check Industrial) or a bike-mounted light (see Outdoor)?
- What activities will you use the light for?
- Fast-moving and/or varied terrain activities (trail running, mountain biking, etc.)?
- Higher lumens may be best for you – focus on lights with 200+ lumens.
- Not-as-fast-moving activities in less varied terrain (road running, hanging around camp, low-key hiking, fishing, etc.)?
- High-lumen lights with a low flood setting or dimmability will work or lights under 200 lumens.
What are your fuel needs?
- Alkaline: The battery type that fuels most of your electronics. Do you carry other gear that uses a specific battery type? Sticking to one type of battery (e.g. AAA) makes it easier to stay prepared.
- Rechargeable: Feeling green? Have a regular power source to plug into? Shop rechargeable options.
- Lithium: Planning to spend a lot of time in extreme cold or heat? Lithium batteries are smaller and lighter than most alkaline batteries and can often withstand extreme temperatures.